Appendix L: Student Travel Policy for Registered Student Organizations
- Policy Statement
It is the policy of the University of Texas at Austin to promote safe travel by members of its registered student organizations to certain events and activities.
This policy applies to the travel of student members of a registered student organization when the registered student organization requires its student members to attend an activity or event and the activity or event occurs more than twenty-five miles from the campus of the University, or when members attend an activity or event that has a duration of 24-hours or more.
- Trip Approval Requirements
- Registered student organizations that require student members to travel to and from events or activities covered by this policy, must obtain prior authorization for such travel from the Office of the Dean of Students, Student Activities.
- To obtain authorization, the registered student organization must apply through a process prescribed by the dean of students. The request must be submitted at least five business days prior to the proposed trip, along with the following documents and information:
- A list of the names, local addresses, phone numbers, and the name and number of an emergency contact for each student participant.
- Copies of valid operators’ licenses for any students who will operate vehicles.
- Copies of current medical insurance certificates or a copy of both sides of an insurance group membership card for each person who wishes to participate in the activity or event. Purchase of a reasonably priced, short-term special events policy can be arranged by Student Activities on behalf of students who do not have, or cannot verify, current medical coverage. Information concerning this coverage is available from Student Activities, (512) 471-3065.
- Travel by Motor Vehicle
- Compliance with State Law
Motor vehicles used for travel covered by this policy shall have a current proof of liability insurance card and a state inspection certification.
- Vehicle Operator Requirements
- All students who will operate vehicles while engaged in travel covered by this policy must have a valid operator’s license, valid insurance, and be trained as required by law to drive the vehicle that will be used.
- Operators of motor vehicles shall comply with all laws, regulations, and posted signs or directions regarding speed and traffic control.
- Operators shall drive no more than four hours without a minimum rest stop of thirty minutes.
- Operators shall drive no more than ten hours in any twenty-four-hour period.
- A navigator shall be assigned for all trips that are scheduled to take more than two hours, and the navigator shall remain awake while on duty.
- Trips requiring more than ten hours of driving time shall include overnight lodging.
- Safety Requirements for Both Operators and Passengers
- Seat Belts. Occupants of motor vehicles shall use seat belts or other approved safety restraint devices required by law or regulation at all times when the vehicle is in operation.
- Alcohol and Illegal Substances. Occupants of motor vehicles shall not possess, consume, or transport any alcoholic beverages or illegal substances.
- Passenger Capacity. The total number of passengers in any vehicle at any time it is in operation shall not exceed the manufacturer’s recommended capacity, or the number specified by University policy, UT System Policy 157, or federal or state law or regulations, whichever is lowest.
- Compliance with State Law
For assistance: Questions regarding this policy should be directed to the Office of the Dean of Students, Student Activities.
Source: Revised Handbook of Operating Procedures, Policy 9-1410