Skip to Content

This is an archived copy of the 2013-15 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit


Special Requirements of the School

All students must fulfill the general requirements for graduation. Students in the Jackson School must also fulfill the following requirements.

  1. The University requires that the student complete in residence at least sixty semester hours of the coursework counted toward the degree. For the Bachelor of Arts in Geological Sciences, these sixty hours must include at least eighteen hours in geological sciences.
  2. The University requires that at least six semester hours of advanced coursework in the major be completed in residence. Options I, II, and III of the BSGeoSci require at least eighteen hours of upper-division coursework in geological sciences to be completed in residence; option V requires at least twelve hours. (Option IV: Environmental Science and Sustainability is no longer offered.)
  3. An Air Force, Army, or Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) student who elects the basic and/or advanced program in air force science, military science, or naval science will not be approved for graduation until the student’s government contract is completed or the student is released from the ROTC.

Applying for Graduation

An electronic degree audit is created for each student each semester; the student should view the audit through IDA, the University’s Interactive Degree Audit system. The degree audit tells the student the courses he or she must take and the requirements he or she must fulfill to receive the degree. Although the degree audit normally provides an accurate statement of requirements, the student is responsible for knowing and meeting the requirements of the degree as stated in a catalog under which he or she is eligible to graduate (see rules on graduation under a particular catalog ). If in doubt about any requirement, the student should seek an official ruling in the Undergraduate Student Services Office before registering.

In the semester or summer session in which the degree is to be conferred, the candidate must be registered at the University and must file a graduation application form in the Undergraduate Student Services Office. This should be done during the first week of classes, if possible, and certainly no later than the deadline published in the academic calendar. No degree will be conferred unless the graduation application form has been filed on time.

What Starts Here Changes the World