This is an archived copy of the 2014-16 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Degrees and Programs

General Requirements

  1. All College of Education students seeking teacher certification must complete the entire Professional Development Sequence of coursework in residence. Residence credit includes only courses taken at the University; it does not include credit by examination, courses taken by extension or correspondence, or courses taken at another institution.
  2. Students seeking teacher certification must adhere to current state requirements, even if they differ from the degree requirements described in this catalog.
  3. Except as otherwise indicated, credit by examination is treated like any other earned credit in meeting degree requirements.
  4. With the exception of credit earned by examination, each course counted toward the degree or toward certification requirements must be taken on the letter-grade basis, unless the course is offered only on the pass/fail basis.
  5. To graduate, all students must have a University grade point average of at least 2.00.

Applicability of Certain Courses

Physical Activity Courses

Physical activity (PED) courses are offered by the Department of Kinesiology and Health Education. Up to three semester hours of physical activity coursework may be counted as electives toward any College of Education degree. All physical activity courses are counted among courses for which the student is enrolled, and the grades are included in the grade point average.

ROTC Courses

A maximum of twelve semester hours of credit in air force science, military science, or naval science may be used as free electives in any degree plan of the College of Education.

Concurrent Enrollment and University Extension Courses

In the semester they plan to graduate, students may not take any course to be counted toward the degree at another institution or through University Extension; students who plan to graduate at the end of the summer session may request approval to take transfer work only in the first summer term.