Skip to Content

This is an archived copy of the 2013-14 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Chapter 4. University Health Services

Subchapter 4–100. General Provisions

Sec. 4–101. Purpose

University Health Services exists primarily to help the student avoid or minimize any interruption in his or her academic program due to medical reasons. Toward that end, University Health Services provides: (1) a broad range of professional medical services for the prompt diagnosis and treatment of illnesses and injuries; (2) a variety of disease prevention programs and public health leadership and initiatives, including the promotion of a healthy campus; (3) immunizations for vaccine-preventable diseases; and (4) other public health services such as responding to certain infectious diseases on campus.

For a detailed discussion of benefits and services offered, see the University Health Services Web site at .

Sec. 4–102. Definitions

In this chapter, unless the context requires a different meaning,

  1. “director” means the director of University Health Services;
  2. “president” means the president of the University of Texas at Austin;
  3. “student” means a person enrolled at the University;
  4. “University” means the University of Texas at Austin; and
  5. “vice president” means the vice president for student affairs, or a delegate or representative of the vice president.

Subchapter 4–200. The Director and Associate Director for Clinical Services

Sec. 4–201. The Director
  1. The director is responsible for the overall operation of University Health Services and reports to the vice president for student affairs.
  2. The director is responsible for establishing the organizational structure and specifying functional relationships among organizational components, providing for the orderly development and management of the unit, supporting a policy on patients’ rights and responsibilities, maintaining a program that evaluates the quality of care provided, and appropriately addressing identified problems.
Sec. 4–202. The Associate Director for Clinical Services

The associate director for clinical services is responsible for all medical activities of University Health Services.

Subchapter 4–300. Medical Clearance Requirements for New and Returning Students, Fees, Payment for Services, Eligibility for University Health Services

Sec. 4–301. Medical Clearance Requirements
  1. Unless exempted as described in Sec. 4-301A1, all entering students must submit documentation that they have received a meningococcal disease (bacterial meningitis) vaccine administered within five years of and at least ten days before the first class day of the semester in which they are enrolling. This includes transfer students and students who previously attended the University or another institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education and who are entering the University following a break in enrollment of at least one fall or spring semester. Additional medical clearance requirements for entering international students are described in Sec. 4-301B.

    Acceptable documentation includes a certificate signed by a healthcare practitioner or an official immunization record showing the month, day and year the meningococcal vaccination was administered (e.g. school record, medical record, immunization card signed by a health practitioner, etc.).

    Entering students who are not exempted and who have not provided documentation of an exclusion as described in 4-301C will not be allowed to register for classes until they comply with the meningococcal vaccine requirement. Students should go to for instructions on how to submit their documentation. Students should submit vaccine-related documentation at least two weeks before their intended registration date to allow for sufficient processing time. 
    1. Exemptions:
      1. For students entering fall of 2013: (1) students age thirty or over on the first class day of the semester in which they are enrolling, and (2) students enrolled only in online or distance courses.
      2. For students entering January 2014 or thereafter: (1) students age 22 or over on the first class day of the semester in which they are entering, and (2) students enrolled only in online or distance courses. 
  2. International students entering for any semester must also provide proof of the following, certified by a physician or nurse, before they will be allowed to register for classes:
    1. All international students born after January 1, 1957:
      1. documentation of two doses of Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR) vaccine given after 1968 with the first dose administered on or after the first birthday and the second dose administered at least 28 days after the first dose, or
      2. documentation of measles and mumps immunity (by either physician diagnosed history of the disease or protective antibody titer) and documentation of rubella (by protective antibody titer only; physician diagnosed history of rubella is not accepted).
    2. All international students: A PPD skin test for tuberculosis administered and interpreted in the United States within the time frame noted on the current TB and Vaccination History for International Students form described in subsection 4–301B3 or a TB blood test documented on the same form and administered within the same time frame. 
    3. International students must complete and return a TB and Vaccination History for International Students form to University Health Services prior to registration. The form is available at the University Health Services Web site, . If a student’s healthcare provider cannot complete and sign the form, other types of official documentation of the medical clearance requirements can be submitted.
  3. Exclusion from immunization requirements in subsection 4–301A and B may be allowed on the basis of medical contraindications or reasons of conscience, including religious conflict. Instructions for how to submit an affidavit for an exclusion can be found at . Any student requesting a waiver of the requirements must provide either
    1. An affidavit or certificate signed by a physician duly licensed under the Medical Practice Act, stating that in his or her opinion as a physician the required immunization(s) could be injurious to the student’s health, or
    2. The appropriate affidavit below, depending upon the student's circumstances, to substantiate declining an immunization(s) for reasons of conscience, including a religious belief. During emergencies or epidemics declared by the commissioner of health of the State of Texas, disasters, or other emergencies, exemption on the basis of reasons of conscience, including religious conflict, may be denied.
      1. For students entering fall of 2013
        1. Students under the age of 18 AND/OR students who plan to live in on-campus housing (including University-owned apartments), must submit a completed and notarized original Texas Department of State Health Services Vaccine Exemption Affidavit Form (signed by the student's parent or guardian, if a minor). Students can request this form at
        2. Students age 18 or older AND who plan to live in off-campus housing must submit either the Texas Department of State Health Services form, as described in 4-301C2a1 above, or a completed and notarized original Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board “Exemption from Immunizations for Bacterial Meningitis for Reasons of Conscience” form .
      2. For students entering in January 2014 and thereafter, the Texas Department of State Health Services form, as described in 4-301C2a1 above, is the only affidavit that can be submitted.
Sec. 4–302. Fees

University Health Services is funded entirely by tuition paid by students and by charges for supplies and services. There are charges associated with University Health Services clinic visits. Charges are generally lower than those for comparable services in the community. A charge applies for missed appointments or appointments not canceled at least two hours in advance (twenty-four hours in advance for appointments with a registered dietitian or for physical therapy). The complete University Health Services Charges Policy, as well as a schedule of charges, is posted at

Sec. 4–303. Payment for Services

Any student who incurs a charge for services rendered by University Health Services must promptly pay the charges owed. Every possible effort will be made to assist the student in making arrangements for payment. If payment is not received and arrangements for payment are not made within 10 days of the date charges are posted to "What I Owe," a financial bar will be placed on the student’s record, and transcripts, diploma, and/or continued registration will be withheld until the outstanding charges have been paid in full.

University Health Services can file claims with most health insurance plans. For more information, including types of plans with which claims can and cannot be filed, go to .

By providing his or her insurance information, a student is authorizing University Health Services to file a claim with (send a bill to) the student's insurance company for services rendered. A student who does not want an insurance claim to be filed must let University Health Services know by 11:59pm on the day of his or her visit by contacting the Cashier/Insurance Office during regular business hours or logging on to "My UHS" at to send a secure message.

A student's insurance company may determine that some or all of the charges incurred at UHS are not covered by his or her insurance policy. The student is responsible to learn what his or her insurance covers.

For students who do not have health insurance and cannot pay at the time of service or who have health insurance that does not pay for any part of their charges, University Health Services will post their charges to "What I Owe." Students who do not have insurance or who do not use their insurance at University Health Services will receive a self-pay discount for charges incurred. 

Sec. 4–304. Eligibility for University Health Services
  1. An individual may use University Health Services if
    1. the person is a currently registered student at the University;
    2. the person has been admitted to the University and needs required or recommended immunizations or medical tests in order to matriculate;
    3. the person is participating in University-sponsored short-term activities such as seminars, institutes, and workshops, provided the sponsoring agency has entered into an agreement with University Health Services by properly completing the Request to Use the University Health Services form and paying the associated agreement fee; the sponsoring department is responsible for any unpaid charges incurred by program participants;
    4.  the person is a University faculty or staff member who is participating in a public health or immunization program; faculty and staff members are not eligible for regular services, with the exception of travel-related immunizations and physical therapy, certain campus outreach and educational programs, and services arranged and paid for by Interdepartmental Transfer by a University department;
    5. the person has paid a University Health Services subscription fee and: was registered during the semester immediately preceding the semester when services are requested (excluding University students who have graduated) or withdrew from the University before the twelfth class day of the current semester); has been admitted to the University and will enroll the semester following the time services are requested; or has the Student Health Insurance Plan or UT Select insurance coverage AND is a visiting scholar/research who is not officially registered for classes at the University, a post-doctoral fellow, or a person enrolled in the English as a Second Language Program.
  2. Registered students become eligible to use University Health Services the day University residence halls open for that semester. Specific eligibility dates are given in the Academic Calendar published in the General Information Catalog and at .

Subchapter 4–400. General Administrative Policies

Sec. 4–401. Informed Consent

The parent or guardian of an unemancipated minor student must give appropriate consent for treatment before care can be provided at University Health Services, except in cases where immediate medical care is required to stabilize a patient for transfer to an emergency facility.

Sec. 4–402. Medical Withdrawal from the University

Withdrawal from the University for medical reasons may be (a) initiated at the request of a student or (b) mandatory when the medical condition of the student has been determined to constitute a direct threat to the health and safety of the student or to individuals who come in contact with the student. Services for Students with Disabilities manages the medical withdrawal process.

Sec. 4–403. Reduced Course Load

Course load reductions are always the prerogative of the academic dean where medical reasons are given. Services for Students with Disabilities manages course load reduction requests.

Sec. 4–404. Responsibility of University Health Services

Any intentional action on the part of the student that is against the advice of a University Health Services health care provider abrogates all responsibility on the part of University Health Services.

Sec. 4–405. Requests to Administer Medications

Requests to administer medications ordered by a private physician must be within the scope of services offered at University Health Services, must be approved by the associate director for clinical services, and will be granted only if the student presents a written order from the prescribing physician that contains the following:

  1. the type of medication,
  2. the dosage schedule,
  3. any cautions and contraindications, and
  4. a description of the method of administration.
Sec. 4–406. Urgent Care Services
  1. In case of a medical emergency where life or limb is threatened, 911 should be called. University Health Services is not equipped to manage medical emergencies.
  2. Urgent care is available from 8:00 am until 5:30 pm Monday through Friday and from 11:00 am until 3:00 pm on Saturday during the long session for students who sustain an acute injury or suffer an illness requiring prompt medical attention. Operating hours vary during the summer, between semesters, and on University holidays. Hours are posted at the University Health Services Web site, .
  3. There is a higher office visit charge for urgent care services received on Saturdays and official University holidays.
Sec. 4–407. Treatment at Other Facilities
  1. University Health Services assumes no financial responsibility for a student’s care at another medical facility.
  2. A student who goes to or is taken to another medical facility for emergency or other treatment, regardless of geographical location or other circumstantial factors, is responsible for all resulting costs.
Sec. 4–408. Personal Property
  1. University Health Services is not responsible for a student’s personal belongings; the student is responsible for arranging for the safekeeping of these articles.
  2. In instances wherein custody of a patient’s property by University Health Services is necessary, or wherein a patient leaves personal possessions in waiting rooms or clinics, University Health Services will exercise all prudent means of securing and returning such property to the owner, but cannot be held responsible for losses through theft.
Sec. 4–409. Medical Records

All original medical records and other documents of treatment, whether from University Health Services or another facility or provider, are the property of University Health Services. Medical information will be reported as required by state law. Additional information from patient records will be released only with informed written consent.

What Starts Here Changes the World