Skip to Content

This is an archived copy of the 2013-14 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Tuition Adjustments

Refunds are applied to any current and outstanding debts owed to the University. Section 54.006(d) of the Texas Education Code requires that the University refund tuition paid by a sponsor, donor, or scholarship to the source, rather than directly to the student, if the funds were made available through the University. All refund orders are cashed at the Office of Accounting Cashiers in MAI 8.

Refunds for Students Withdrawing from the University

Students who withdraw from the University receive a refund of a percentage of their tuition. The percentage varies as shown below according to the student’s effective withdrawal date.

Long Session and Summer Session (Whole-Session Classes)

Official withdrawal date Percentage refund
Prior to the first class day100% less $15 matriculation fee
During the first five class days80%
During the second five class days70%
During the third five class days50%
During the fourth five class days25%
After the fourth five class daysnone

Summer Session (First-Term, Second-Term, and Nine-Week Classes)

Official withdrawal date Percentage refund
Prior to the first class day100% less $15 matriculation fee
During the first, second, or third class day80%
During the fourth, fifth, or sixth class day50%
After the sixth class daynone

Withdrawal refunds are based on the student’s schedule on the effective date of withdrawal; adds and drops are included in the calculation. In some cases, a student may receive two refund checks, one based on dropped courses and one based on withdrawal percentages for remaining courses.

Students withdrawn by the University because of a returned check are assessed a $25 service charge and the matriculation fee . A student withdrawn by the University for scholastic reasons, class cancellations, or other reasons receives a full refund; the matriculation fee is not charged.

A student who withdraws as a result of being called to active military service may choose to receive a tuition refund. More information about withdrawal for active service is given in the section Withdrawal .

A student who withdraws after receiving any cash payment from the Office of Student Financial Services may be required to make full or partial repayment. Funds received through the Federal College Work-Study Program are not subject to repayment. Students should contact the Office of Student Financial Services for information regarding repayment obligations.

Student Accounts Receivable initiates refunds for all eligible students who submit approved withdrawal petitions to the Office of the Registrar as described in the section Withdrawal . A refund is issued no earlier than thirty days after the date the student paid the initial tuition bill. The refund is sent to the address specified on the withdrawal petition.

Adjustments for Added and Dropped Classes

Charges for added classes must be paid by the end of the twelfth class day in the fall and spring semesters and by the end of the fourth class day in the summer. Failure to pay for added classes may result in the cancellation of the student’s entire registration. Students can determine what they owe by visiting the Student Accounts Receivable Web site, .

Overpayments of tuition resulting from classes that a student drops (1) during the first twelve class days in a fall or spring semester; (2) during the first twelve class days of a whole-session class in the summer session; or (3) during the first four class days of a first-term, second-term, or nine-week class in the summer session will be refunded. No refunds are made for classes dropped after these dates. Refunds are issued the week after the twelfth (or fourth) class day. They are mailed to the student’s local address or deposited into the account the student has designated if an electronic funds transfer authorization is in effect. The student may contact Student Accounts Receivable at (512) 475-7777 to verify account information.

Optional Fee Refunds

Refunds for the Cactus yearbook may be requested at the Texas Student Media office in the William Randolph Hearst Building (also known as Hearst Student Media building).

Parking permit refunds may be requested at the Parking and Transportation Services office.

Longhorn All-Sports Package refunds may be requested at the Intercollegiate Athletics student ticket office located in the Red McCombs Red Zone on the north side of the Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.

Tuition Rebates for Certain Undergraduates

An undergraduate may be eligible for a tuition rebate of up to $1,000 if, at graduation, he or she has attempted no more than three semester hours beyond the minimum number of hours required for the degree. The student must meet the following eligibility requirements.

  1. The student must not have been enrolled at any institution of higher education before the fall semester 1997.
  2. At the time he or she earns a first undergraduate degree, the student must have attempted no more than three semester hours beyond the minimum number of hours required for the degree. Hours attempted include all courses the student has undertaken, such as transfer credit, courses the student dropped or from which the student withdrew after the date the official enrollment count was taken, developmental courses taken for credit, optional internship and cooperative education courses, courses the student failed, and courses the student repeated. If the student has earned credit by examination for more than nine hours of coursework, the hours in excess of nine are also counted as hours attempted.

    Courses dropped for reasons that are determined by the institution to be totally beyond the control of the student shall not be counted.

    Beginning with degrees awarded on September 1, 2007, or later, course credit is not counted if the student earned it to meet ROTC requirements but it is not required for the degree. Beginning with degrees awarded August 2011, or later, course credit is not counted if it is earned before graduating from high school (except for course credit earned exclusively by examination). 

    If the student earned a bachelor’s degree and a Texas teaching certificate concurrently, required teacher education courses are not counted as hours attempted if they exceed the number of hours of free electives allowed in the bachelor’s degree program.

  3. The student must have been a Texas resident and must have been eligible to pay resident tuition at all times while pursuing the degree.
  4. If the student received a bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, or any other program that is determined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to require more than four years to complete, then the student must have graduated within five calendar years after first enrolling in a Texas public senior college or university. If the student’s degree is in a field other than those that have been determined to take more than four years to complete, he or she must graduate within four calendar years after that first enrollment.

    Requirement 4 applies only to students who enrolled in a public Texas senior college or university for the first time on or after September 1, 2005.

    A student who was unable to meet requirement 4 because of a hardship may seek an exception to this requirement from his or her dean.

An eligible student should submit a request for a rebate in the dean’s office when the student files an application for graduation; the request must be submitted before the official date of graduation. If the student’s request for a rebate is denied, he or she may appeal to the vice provost and registrar in the Office of the Registrar. The rebate may be reduced by the amount of any outstanding student loan owed to or guaranteed by the State of Texas.

Tuition rebate policies are governed by section 54.0065 of the Texas Education Code and by the rules of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

If a student does not qualify for a tuition rebate only because of study abroad coursework that exceeds the number of hours required for the degree, then the student may be eligible for an institutional award from the University in place of the tuition rebate. Students who are interested in this institutional award should apply for a tuition rebate; they will be considered for the institutional award if they are eligible.

What Starts Here Changes the World