Skip to Content

This is an archived copy of the 2013-14 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit


A student who wishes to withdraw from the University after completing registration for a semester or summer session must secure the dean’s approval. Following withdrawal, students are required to meet with the appropriate school/college academic adviser or other designated individual before the first class day of the semester for which they plan to re-enroll. A student who is a minor must present a written statement from a parent, guardian, or sponsor indicating that the responsible person knows of the student’s intent to withdraw. In addition, international students must have permission from the International Office to withdraw. The dean’s permit to withdraw must be submitted to the registrar, where the student may request a refund of tuition in accordance with University policy. These policies are given in Tuition Adjustments . No refund will be made to anyone other than the payer, except on the payer’s written order.

After the last day for withdrawing (approximately midsemester), an undergraduate student may petition for withdrawal only for urgent, substantiated, nonacademic reasons. Withdrawal by an undergraduate student on scholastic probation may affect the student’s scholastic standing. Information about scholastic probation and dismissal is given in Scholastic Probation and Dismissal .

A graduate student in good standing may withdraw with the approval of the graduate dean through the last class day of the semester. A graduate student who is in warning status may not withdraw without the recommendation of the graduate adviser and the approval of the graduate dean.

Withdrawal for military service. A student who withdraws as a result of being called to active military service may choose (1) to receive a refund of tuition for the semester; (2) if eligible, to be assigned an incomplete (symbol X) in each course as described in Symbol X: Temporary Delay in Reporting the Final Class Grade ; or (3) at the instructor’s discretion, to receive a final grade in courses where he or she has completed a substantial amount of coursework and has demonstrated sufficient mastery of the course material. Policies affecting students who are absent for military service but do not withdraw are given below.

Medical withdrawal. After the last day for withdrawing, a student who has an urgent, substantiated, and significant medical or mental health condition which impacts the student's academic functioning may be withdrawn from the University as of the date, and under the conditions, specified at the time of the withdrawal. A student must request a medical withdrawal from UHS/CMHC by the last class day.  Forms must be returned to UHS/CMHC before the first day of final exams. A student who requests medical withdrawal must submit copies of medical records from each medical and mental health care provider treating the condition. The medical records must include the date of onset of the illness or injury, dates of care, and diagnosis and prognosis. If the withdrawal is approved, the registrar and other appropriate officials will be notified. Specific information about the medical withdrawal process is available at .

Retroactive withdrawal. A student who wishes to leave the University for nonacademic reasons is expected to withdraw during the current semester as described above. Requests to withdraw after the semester is over are considered only if the student was somehow unable to withdraw. For example, students who were hospitalized or incarcerated, called away at the end of the semester because of a family crisis, asked to perform military service, or seriously debilitated by mental illness may be unable to withdraw during the semester in which they are enrolled.

In these cases, students may discuss the situation with the dean or an academic adviser in the dean’s office. If there is sufficient and compelling documentation, and if the request for retroactive withdrawal is submitted to the dean’s office during the next long-session semester, the dean or the dean’s staff will review the request and consider approval of a retroactive withdrawal. Appropriate documentation could include written recommendations from University Health Services and the Counseling and Mental Health Center.

A college or school may approve an appeal for retroactive withdrawal for a semester prior to the previous long semester, but only for the most compelling nonacademic reasons. If approved, the appeal must be signed by the dean of the college/school.

What Starts Here Changes the World