Skip to Content

This is an archived copy of the 2013-14 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Transfer Credit Policies for Coursework from International Institutions

Evaluation by the Office of Admissions of course credit earned at an international institution does not constitute approval of the credit for use toward a degree; such approval is solely within the jurisdiction of the student’s academic dean. Policies governing the evaluation of transfer credit from international institutions include the following.

  1. Transfer credit is generally awarded for academic course credit earned from Ministry of Education–accredited institutions.
  2. Rules governing the assignment of transfer credit from United States institutions also apply to transfer credit from international institutions. These rules are given in Transfer Application Review Process .
  3. To receive credit, the student must earn a grade that is comparable to a C- on the grading scale used at the University. The Graduate and International Admissions Center establishes grading scale equivalencies for international institutions.
  4. If the credit was not earned as part of a University-affiliated study abroad program, the symbol CR (credit) will appear on the student’s University record instead of a letter grade.
  5. Transfer credit from a nonaffiliated study abroad (language and culture) program is not assigned a specific University course number. Instead, undesignated credit may be recorded, and the student’s academic dean will determine the specific credit to be allowed for degree purposes on a substitution basis. Both current and previously enrolled University students who attend a nonaffiliated study abroad program may be required, at the discretion of the appropriate language department, to take an examination to earn credit for specific language courses.

What Starts Here Changes the World