Thirty-three semester hours of English, including at least twenty-four semester hours of upper-division coursework consisting of the following:
- English 314J, 314L, or 314V
- English 316L, 316M, 316N, or 316P
- An upper-division course in literature or language prior to 1630
- An upper-division course in literature or language from 1630 to 1830
- An upper-division course in literature or language from 1830 to 1940
- An upper-division diverse perspectives course
- An upper-division single- or dual-author course
- An upper-division research seminar
- Nine additional semester hours of coursework in English, including at least six semester hours of upper-division coursework
A list of courses that may be used to fulfill requirements 3–9 is available in the English Advising Office, Parlin Hall 114, and on the Department of English Web site .
The student must make a grade of at least C- in each course counted toward fulfillment of the major requirements. A minimum grade point average of 2.00 in courses taken at the University and counted toward the major is also required.
Students are discouraged from taking more than six semester hours of coursework in English in a semester. No student may take more than nine hours of coursework in English in a semester.
Minor for English Majors
Twelve semester hours, including at least six hours of upper-division coursework, in any one other field of study in the University. Six of the required twelve semester hours must be taken in residence. If the minor is in a foreign language other than that used to fulfill the foreign language requirement, the twelve semester hours may be lower-division but must include at least six hours beyond course 507 or the equivalent.