Students who drive or park a vehicle on campus must purchase a permit from Parking and Transportation Services (PTS). To park within the campus boundaries, a proper permit must be displayed as required. Purchase of a surface lot permit (A, C, M, N) does not assure a parking space in a specific lot. Purchase of a garage permit (R, S, N+) generally assures an unassigned parking space in the garage in which it is valid.
Students are eligible for the following types of parking permits:
- Class C (surface student) parking permits are available to all students enrolled at the University. The fee is $138 for the year. This permit allows parking in C and Longhorn lots.
- Class C+ (surface student plus night garage access) parking permits are available to all students enrolled at the University. The fee is $207 per year. This permit allows parking in C and Longhorn lots. It also allows parking in University garages, within the limits given for night garage access (N+) permits below.
- Class A (surface faculty/staff) parking permits are available to University graduate students who are also employed by the University for at least twenty hours a week. The student’s employment must be verified by a signed copy of the appointment or reappointment form or a letter from the dean, director, or department chair. The fee is $160 a year. This permit allows parking in A parking areas, in Longhorn lots, and in C lots after 2:00 pm.
- Class M (motorcycle/moped/motor scooter) parking permits are available to any University student, faculty, or staff member. The fee is $83 a year, but there is no charge for the first Class M permit with the purchase of another permit except an R, N, or N+ permit. The Class M permit allows parking in M parking areas; motorcycles, mopeds, and motor scooters may not be parked in automobile parking areas between 7:30 am and 5:45 pm Monday through Friday.
- Class R (garage resident student) parking permits are available to residents of University-owned housing located on the main campus. The fee is $376, $420, or $442 for a semester, or $677, $755, or $796 for nine months, depending on the garage. Nine-month Class R permits purchased in the fall are valid through May 20 of the following year. Students may purchase a permit for the summer session for an additional fee of $170. The Class R permit allows parking in R areas in the designated garage; it also allows parking in Longhorn lots.
- Class S (garage commuting student) parking permits are available to University students who live off campus. The fee is $319 per semester, $131 for the summer session, or $669 for twelve months. Class S permits allow parking in the garage designated on the permit and in Longhorn lots.
- Class N (night surface access) parking permits are available to anyone affiliated with the University. The fee is $41 for the year. Class N permits allow parking Monday through Thursday from 5:45 pm to 7:30 am and from Friday at 5:45 pm until Monday at 7:30 am in otherwise unrestricted spaces and in spaces that require any UT permit.
- Class N+ (night garage access) parking permits are available to anyone affiliated with the University. The fee is $69 for the year. Class N+ permits allow weeknight and weekend surface parking within the limits described for the Class N permit. In addition, they allow parking when space is available in any University garage except the Conference Center Garage from 5:00 pm to 4:00 am, Monday through Thursday, and from 5:00 pm Friday to 4:00 am Monday.
Class C, C+, M, N, N+, and A permits purchased in the fall semester are valid through August 21. Permits are prorated daily with the refunds for returned permits available until the last month in which the permit is valid. Additional fees may apply.
Parking may be restricted in any garage or surface lot for special events.
The following charges for violation of the Parking and Traffic Regulations have been submitted to the Board of Regents for their review/approval prior to the start of the 2017-2018 academic year. Parking and Transportation Services reserves the right to refer any violator to the Office of the Dean of Students or the appropriate academic dean, chair, or director.
|Unauthorized parking in an “At All Times” space.||$75.00|
|Improper method of parking.||$35.00|
|Unauthorized special event parking.||$75.00|
|Inhabiting a vehicle of any kind on University property without authorization.||$75.00|
|Parking overtime at a meter.||$20.00|
|Improper use of a controlled access area or a key card.||$75.00|
|Unauthorized parking in a space reserved for persons with disabilities.||$200.00|
|Unauthorized parking in Thompson Conference Center or LBJ Library lot.||$35.00|
|Moped/motorcycle/motorbike parked in a space designated for four-wheeled vehicles.||$25.00|
|Bicycle or EPAMD parking in areas other than those designated for bicycles.||$25.00|
|Violating temporary parking restrictions.||$35.00|
|Parked in violation of set time parameters.||$35.00|
|Idling at air intake louvers.||$35.00|
|Failure to display proper permit on a registered vehicle. (Three warning tickets per academic year, then $15.00 per incident.)||$15.00|
|Possession, counterfeiting, or altering of a University permit and/or possession of lost, stolen, or invalid permit. The cost of the permit is added to the penalty.||$250.00|
|Obstruction to vehicular or pedestrian traffic.||$35.00|
|Parking in a fire lane, at a fire hydrant, or on a red or yellow curb.||$75.00|
|Parking or driving on sidewalks, grass, or shrubbery. The cost of repairs is added to the penalty.||$35.00|
|Improper passenger pickup and drop off.||$35.00|
|Exceeding 15 miles per hour speed limit or other posted speed limit on campus.||$75.00|
|Violation of an official traffic control device, such as a STOP or YIELD sign.||$75.00|
|Moving violation of Texas motor vehicle laws not otherwise specified in these rules and regulations.||$75.00|
|Other nonmoving violation of Texas motor vehicle laws.||$75.00|
|Moving a barricade or parking within any barricaded area or moving a vehicle without permission of owner/operator.||$35.00|
|Failure to stop and heed instructions given by a University police officer or guard.||$75.00|
|Parking or operating a motor vehicle while privileges are suspended.||$200.00|
|Having a vehicle of any type within a University building (except a parking facility).||$20.00|
|Parking without authorized valid permit.||$35.00|
|Theft of property or damaging property by unauthorized boot removal. The replacement cost of damaged property is added to the penalty.||$250.00|
|Improper exit from a University parking garage. The maximum daily fee is also assessed.||$75.00|
|Vehicle relocation or towing.||$125.00|