Thirty-three semester hours of English, including at least 21 semester hours of upper-division coursework consisting of the following:
- An introductory literary skills course, chosen from English 314J , 314L , or 314V
- An introductory literary survey course, chosen from English 316L , 316M , 316N , or 316P
- A diverse perspectives course
- A course in literature or language from 1940 to the present
- An upper-division course in literature or language from 1830 to 1940
- An upper-division course in literature or language from 1630 to 1830
- An upper-division course in literature or language prior to 1630
- An upper-division single- or dual-author course
- Nine additional semester hours of upper-division coursework in English
A list of courses that may be used to fulfill requirements is available in the English Advising Office, Parlin Hall 114, and on the Department of English website.
The student must make a grade of at least C- in each course counted toward fulfillment of the major requirements. A minimum grade point average of 2.00 in courses taken at the University and counted toward the major is also required.
Students are discouraged from taking more than six semester hours of coursework in English in a semester. No student may take more than nine hours of coursework in English in a semester.