A student who wishes to withdraw from the University after completing registration for a semester or summer session must secure the dean’s acknowledgement. Following withdrawal, students are required to meet with the appropriate school/college academic advisor or other designated individual before the first class day of the semester for which they plan to re-enroll. A student who is a minor must present a written statement from a parent, guardian, or sponsor indicating that the responsible person knows of the student’s intent to withdraw. In addition, international students must have permission from the International Office to withdraw.

The dean’s signed acknowledgement to withdraw must be submitted to the registrar, where the student may request a refund of tuition, if eligible. Note that tuition refunds are strictly limited according to University policy as described at the following page: Tuition Adjustments. No refund will be made to anyone other than the payer, except on the payer’s written order.

After the last day for withdrawing (approximately mid-semester), an undergraduate student may petition for withdrawal only for urgent, substantiated, nonacademic reasons. Withdrawal by an undergraduate student on scholastic probation may affect the student’s scholastic standing. Information about scholastic probation and dismissal is given in Scholastic Probation and Dismissal.

A graduate student in good standing may withdraw with the acknowledgement of the graduate dean through the last class day of the semester. A graduate student who is in warning status may not withdraw without the recommendation of the graduate advisor and the acknowledgement of the graduate dean.

Withdrawal for military service. A student who withdraws as a result of being called to required military service may choose (1) to receive a refund of tuition for the semester; (2) if eligible, to be assigned an incomplete (symbol X) in each course as described in Symbol X: Temporary Delay in Reporting the Final Class Grade; or (3) at the instructor’s discretion, to receive a final grade in courses where the student has completed a substantial amount of coursework and has demonstrated sufficient mastery of the course material. Policies affecting students who are absent for military service but do not withdraw are given below.

Medical withdrawal. After the last day for withdrawing, a student who has an urgent, substantiated, and significant medical or mental health condition which impacts the student's academic functioning may be withdrawn from the University as of the date, and under the conditions, specified at the time of the withdrawal. Note that tuition refunds are strictly limited according to University policy as described at the following page: Tuition Adjustments.

A student must request a medical withdrawal from UHS/CMHC by the last class day. Forms must be returned to UHS/CMHC before the first day of final exams. A student who requests medical withdrawal must submit copies of medical records from each medical and mental health care provider treating the condition. The medical records must include the date of onset of the illness or injury, dates of care, and diagnosis and prognosis. If the withdrawal is approved, the registrar and other appropriate officials will be notified. Specific information about the medical withdrawal process is available at the University Health Services website.

Retroactive withdrawal. A student who wishes to leave the University for nonacademic reasons is expected to withdraw by the last class day of the current semester as described above. Requests to withdraw after the last class day are considered only if there were compelling documented circumstances that reasonably prevented the student from withdrawing by that day. Note that tuition refunds are strictly limited according to University policy as described at the following page: Tuition Adjustments

Students considered under this standard may include, but are not limited to, students who were hospitalized or incarcerated, called away at the end of the semester because of a family crisis, asked to perform military service, or experienced a mental or physical health problem documented by an appropriate healthcare professional, that seriously inhibited their mental or physical functioning. 

In these cases, students may discuss the situation with the dean or an academic advisor in the dean’s office. If there is sufficient and compelling documentation, and if the request for retroactive withdrawal is submitted to the dean’s office before the end of the next long-session semester, the dean or the dean’s staff will review the request and consider approval of a retroactive withdrawal. Appropriate documentation could include written recommendations from University Health Services and the Counseling and Mental Health Center.

A college or school may approve an appeal for retroactive withdrawal for a semester prior to the previous long semester, but only for the most compelling nonacademic reasons that reasonably prevented the student from requesting a withdrawal in a timely manner, consistent with the policies described above. Support for the appeal from a college or school must be indicated through a signature of the dean or the appropriate associate dean of the college/school; such appeals are subject to review by the Provost for final approval.

What Starts Here Changes the World