Special Requirements of the College

All students must fulfill the General Requirements for graduation. Students in the College of Liberal Arts must also fulfill the following requirements.

  1. The University requires that the student complete in residence at least 60 semester hours of the coursework counted toward the degree. For the Bachelor of Arts, Plan I, the Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science, and the Bachelor of Science in Psychology, these 60 hours must include at least 18 hours in the major. For the Bachelor of Arts, Plan II, 30 of these 60 hours must be taken in the College of Liberal Arts or the College of Natural Sciences.
  2. The University requires that at least six semester hours of advanced coursework in the major be completed in residence. Additional requirements of the College of Liberal Arts are given later in this chapter with the requirements of the college’s four degrees.

Degree Audit 

A student in the College of Liberal Arts is expected to declare a major by the time he or she has completed 60 semester hours of coursework. The student must initiate major declaration in the department housing the major. 

An official degree audit compares a student’s coursework with degree requirements for a particular degree, major, and catalog. The degree audit normally provides an accurate statement of requirements, but the student is responsible for knowing the requirements for the degree as stated in a catalog under which he or she is entitled to graduate and for registering so as to fulfill these requirements. The student should seek an official ruling in the major department or in the Student Division before registering, if in doubt about any requirement. 

Students are strongly encouraged to schedule an official degree check with a Student Division advisor once they are one semester away from graduating.

Applying for Graduation

In the semester in which the degree is to be conferred, the candidate must be registered at the University and must file a graduation application form either online or in the Student Division. This must be done by the deadline to apply for an undergraduate degree, which is given in the official academic calendar. No degree will be conferred unless the graduation application form has been filed on time.