Chapter 4. University Health Services

Subchapter 4–100. General Provisions

Sec. 4–101. Purpose

University Health Services (UHS) is part of the Division of Student Affairs. It provides healthcare and public health leadership to support students in reaching their optimal health so they can achieve their academic and personal potential. To that end, UHS provides: (1) a broad range of professional health services for the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses and injuries; (2) preventive health services such as physicals and well-woman exams; (3) physical therapy and nutrition services; (4) public health initiatives, including the promotion of a healthy campus; (5) immunizations for vaccine-preventable diseases; and (6) other public health services such as responding to certain infectious diseases on campus.

For a detailed discussion of benefits and services offered, see the UHS website.

Sec. 4–102. Definitions

In this chapter, unless the context requires a different meaning, the following definitions apply.

  1. “Executive Director and Chief Medical Officer" means the executive director and chief medical officer of UHS.
  2. “President” means the president of The University of Texas at Austin.
  3. “Student” means a person enrolled at the university.
  4. “University” means The University of Texas at Austin.
  5. “Vice president” means the vice president for student affairs or a delegate or representative of the vice president.

Subchapter 4–200. The Executive Director and Chief Medical Officer

Sec. 4–201. The Executive Director and Chief Medical Officer
  1. The executive director and chief medical officer is responsible for all clinical services, initiatives and programs; provides organizational oversight, campus leadership and strategic planning activities of UHS and reports to the associate vice president for student affairs.   
  2. The executive director and chief medical officer is responsible for serving as a liaison to campus leaders and media and for planning for and responding to campus public health emergencies. 
  3. The executive director and chief medical officer is responsible for establishing the clinic structure and specifying functional relationships among organizational components of clinical and clinic support operations, providing for the orderly development and management of the unit, supporting a policy on patients’ rights and responsibilities, maintaining a program that evaluates the quality of care provided and appropriately addressing identified problems.
  4. The executive director and chief medical officer is responsible for providing consultation in matters concerning the delivery of healthcare services and emerging public health issues affecting The University of Texas at Austin.

Subchapter 4–300. Medical Clearance Requirements for New and Returning Students, Fees, Payment for Services and Eligibility for University Health Services

Sec. 4–301. Medical Clearance Requirements

Entering students who have not provided acceptable documentation to comply with applicable medical clearance requirements below will not be allowed to register for classes until they do so. Students should submit medical clearance documentation (including acceptable documentation for exemptions) at least two weeks before their intended registration date to allow for sufficient processing time.

Information about acceptable documentation to comply with the requirement below, how to submit documentation, allowable exemptions for certain requirements and acceptable documentation to claim an exemption resides on the UHS website. During emergencies or epidemics declared by the governor or commissioner of health of the State of Texas or disasters or other emergencies, exemptions on the basis of reasons of conscience (including religious conflict) may be denied if allowed by rule, executive order or law.

  1. All entering students, regardless of age or classification, must submit documentation that they are immune to measles before they will be allowed to register for classes.
  2. All entering students who will be under the age of 22 on the first class day of the semester in which they are enrolling must submit documentation that they have received a meningococcal disease (bacterial meningitis) vaccine administered within five years of and at least ten days before the first class day of the semester in which they are enrolling. This includes transfer students and students who previously attended the university or another institution of higher education (or private or independent institution of higher education) and who are entering the university following a break in enrollment of at least one fall or spring semester. Students age 22 or older or who are enrolled only in online or distance courses are exempt from the meningococcal vaccine requirement.  
  3. International students entering any semester must provide proof of the following by submitting acceptable documentation as described on the UHS website. If they meet the criteria described in Sec. 4-310b, they must also provide proof of a meningococcal vaccine as described in that section.
    1.  Proof of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella as documented by one of the methods described on the UHS website
    2. If indicated following an online screening questionnaire, proof of an acceptable tuberculosis screening test as described at Medical Clearance Requirements for International Students and administered on or after the date listed on that page. If either acceptable test is positive, documentation of a chest x-ray performed in the U.S. on or after the same date is required, regardless of a history of previous treatment.
Sec. 4–302. Fees

UHS is funded by tuition paid by students and by charges for supplies and services. There are charges associated with UHS clinic visits. A charge applies for missed appointments or appointments not canceled in the specific time frame for that appointment type. Complete information about UHS charges is detailed online. 

Sec. 4–303. Payment for Services

Any student who incurs a charge for services rendered by UHS must pay the charges owed, but they do not have to pay for services on the date they are provided, except for students who have health insurance and request that a claim not be filed with their insurance company. UHS can assist a student in arranging a payment plan. If payment is not received or arrangements for payment are not made within ten days of the date charges are posted to "What I Owe," a financial bar will be placed on the student’s record. Barred students can contact the UHS/CMHC Billing and Insurance Office to discuss options that will allow them to register. Transcripts, diplomas and/or continued registration will be withheld until outstanding charges have been paid.

UHS can file claims for payment with most health insurance plans; however, health insurance is not required to be seen at UHS. For more information, including the Student Administrative Health Fee and the types of plans with which claims can and cannot be filed, go to the UHS website.

By providing their insurance information, a student authorizes UHS to file a claim with the student's insurance company for services rendered. A student who does not want an insurance claim to be filed for medical services must let UHS know at the time of their appointment.

A student's insurance company may determine that some or all charges incurred at UHS are not covered. The student is responsible for learning what their insurance covers.

For students who do not have health insurance and cannot or prefer not to pay at the time of service or who have health insurance that does not pay for a part or all charges, UHS will post their balance to "What I Owe." Discounted rates are available for students who do not have insurance, who are underinsured or who are covered by Medicare or Medicaid. 

Sec. 4–304. Eligibility to Use University Health Services
  1. An individual may use UHS if:
    1. the person is a currently enrolled student at the university,
    2. the person has been admitted to the university and needs required or recommended immunizations or medical tests to matriculate,
    3. for Urgent Care services only, the person is participating in university-sponsored short-term activities such as seminars, institutes and workshops provided the sponsoring agency has entered into an agreement with UHS by properly completing the Request to Use University Health Services form and paying the associated agreement fee. The sponsoring department is responsible for any unpaid charges incurred by program participants,
    4. the person is a university faculty or staff member who is participating in a public health or immunization program. Faculty and staff are not eligible for regular services except for travel-related immunizations, nutrition services, physical therapy, certain campus outreach and educational programs and services arranged and paid for by Interdepartmental Transfer by a university department,
    5. the person has paid a UHS Service Extension Fee and was registered during the semester immediately preceding the semester when services are requested (excluding university students who have graduated or who withdrew from the university before the twelfth class day of the prior semester),
    6. the person has been admitted to the university, has paid a UHS Service Extension Fee, and will enroll the semester following the time services are requested,
    7. the person has paid a UHS Service Extension fee and is a visiting scholar/researcher who is not officially registered for classes at the university, a post-doctoral fellow or a person enrolled in the English as a Second Language Program, or,
    8. the person is a student from another University of Texas System institution that has entered into an agreement with the university, otherwise called a Contractual Student.
  2. Registered students become eligible to use UHS the day university residence halls open for that semester, except for International Students who become eligible on the first day of coverage of the student health insurance plan. Students remain eligible for services until the day before residence halls open for the subsequent semester. Specific eligibility dates are given in the Academic Calendar published in the General Information Catalog and at the registrar website.

Subchapter 4–400. General Administrative Policies

Sec. 4–401. Informed Consent

The parent or guardian of a minor student must give appropriate consent for treatment before care can be provided at UHS, except when a minor student meets State of Texas criteria to consent for their own care or in cases where immediate medical care is required to stabilize a patient for transfer to an emergency facility.

Sec. 4–402. Medical Withdrawal from the University

Requests for withdrawal from the university for medical reasons may be initiated at the request of a student. Applications to request consideration of a medical withdrawal should be submitted to Services for Students with Disabilities. Services for Students with Disabilities will involve UHS or the appropriate dean’s office, as indicated by the student’s individual circumstances.

Sec. 4–403. Responsibility of University Health Services

Any intentional action on the part of the student that is against the advice of a UHS health care provider abrogates all responsibility on the part of UHS.

Sec. 4–404. Requests to Administer Medications

Requests to administer medications ordered by a private physician must be within the scope of services offered at UHS, meet the standard of care provided by UHS medical staff, be supported by appropriate medical documentation from the prescribing physician and be approved by the executive director and chief medical officer.

Sec. 4–405. Routine, Urgent and Emergency Care Services
  1. UHS is not equipped to manage medical emergencies. In the case of a medical emergency, students should call 911. 
  2. For routine health concerns, students may schedule appointments by calling (512) 471-4955 during posted weekday business hours. Students can also schedule many types of appointments online.
  3. Students who need prompt medical attention for illnesses or injuries may be asked to come to UHS for an urgent care visit not requiring an appointment.
  4. Current operating hours are posted on the University Health Services website.
Sec. 4-406. 24-hour Nurse Advice Line

The UHS Nurse Advice Line (512-475-6877) is available for students 24 hours a day, every day of the year.  Advice Line nurses can help students determine whether and how soon they need medical care or can provide self-care advice for illnesses and injuries when appropriate.

Sec. 4–407. Treatment at Other Facilities
  1. UHS assumes no financial responsibility for a student’s care at another medical facility.
  2. A student who goes to or is taken to another medical facility for emergency or other treatment, regardless of geographical location or other circumstantial factors, is responsible for all resulting costs.
Sec. 4–408. Personal Property
  1. UHS is not responsible for a student’s personal belongings; the student is responsible for arranging for the safekeeping of these articles.
  2. In instances when it is necessary for UHS to maintain custody of a patient’s property or when a patient leaves personal possessions in waiting rooms or clinics, UHS will exercise all prudent means of securing and returning such property to the owner but cannot be held responsible for losses through theft.
Sec. 4–409. Medical Records

All original medical records (whether electronic or paper) and other records of treatment, whether originating within UHS or another facility or provider, are the property of UHS. Medical information may be disclosed as required by state or federal law. Many items summarizing patient care are available on the patient portal. Additional information from patient records will be released only with informed written consent. Students have the right to review, inspect or request copies of their medical records.