Special Requirements of the School

All students must fulfill the General Requirements for graduation. Students in the Steve Hicks School of Social Work must also fulfill the following requirements.

  1. All University students must have a grade point average of at least 2.00 to graduate. In the Steve Hicks School of Social Work, students must also have a grade point average of at least 2.50 in required social work courses.
  2. To receive an undergraduate degree from the University, every student must fulfill the following requirements on coursework taken in residence:
    1. All University students must complete in residence at least 60 semester hours of coursework counted toward the degree. For the Bachelor of Social Work degree, these 60 hours must include at least 24 hours in the major and must include the required field practicum courses.
    2. The University requires that at least six semester hours of advanced coursework in the major be completed in residence. The Steve Hicks School of Social Work further requires that 24 of the 46 hours of upper-division coursework for the Bachelor of Social Work be completed in residence.
  3. An Air Force, Army, or Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps student who elects the basic and/or advanced program in air force science, military science, or naval science will not be approved for graduation until the government contract is completed, unless the student is released from the ROTC.

Applying for Graduation

An official degree audit compares a student's coursework with degree requirements for a particular degree, major and catalog. The degree audit normally provides an accurate statement of requirements, but the student is responsible for knowing the requirements for the degree as stated in a catalog under which the student is eligible to graduate and for registering so as to fulfill those requirements. The student should seek an official ruling in the Office of Academic Affairs before registering if in doubt about any requirement.

Students are strongly encouraged to schedule an official degree check with a Social Work academic advisor once they are one semester away from graduating.

In the semester or summer session in which the degree is to be conferred, the candidate must be registered at the University and must apply for the degree in the Office of Academic Affairs. This should be done at the time of registration for the last semester, if possible, but in no event later than the deadline given in the official academic calendar. No degree will be conferred unless the graduation application form has been filed on time.