Twenty-seven semester hours of coursework in American studies, including at least 15 hours of upper-division coursework. The following courses are required:
- American Studies 310, Introduction to American Studies
- American Studies 311S, Introductory Seminar in American Studies
- American Studies 355, Main Currents of American Culture to 1865 and American Studies 356, Main Currents of American Culture since 1865
- Nine semester hours chosen from topics of American Studies 370, Seminar in American Culture
- Three additional hours of American studies coursework
- Liberal Arts 320 or three additional hours of American studies coursework.