Academic Policies and Procedures
Requirements and Policies of the College
All students must fulfill the General Requirements for graduation given in the University section. Students in the Moody College of Communication are also subject to the following requirements and policies:
- All communication majors must have a grade of at least C- in each course taken in the Moody College of Communication that is counted toward the degree; if the course is offered on the pass/fail basis only, the course must have the symbol CR.
- No more than 60 hours of communication coursework may count toward the degree.
- At least 36 semester hours of upper-division coursework must be counted toward the degree.
- Moody College students must complete at least 18 hours of in-residence upper-division coursework.
- Students in the Moody College of Communication may not repeat for credit a course in which they have earned a grade of C- or better, unless otherwise specified in the catalog.
- A student may declare only one minor or certificate to supplement their Moody major(s); exceptions must be approved by the Student Dean. Moody students must declare their minor/certificate intentions before they have completed 75% of their degree requirements, as indicated on the Interactive Degree Audit (IDA); exceptions must be approved by the Student Dean.
Moody College Honors Program
The Moody College Honors Program requires 15 hours of coursework. Students should apply as incoming freshmen but have an opportunity to enter the program later by applying in their first year. Students accepted into the Moody College Honors Program must complete the following coursework. Exceptions may be made at the program director’s discretion. All courses must be taken for letter grade (unless only offered on a pass/fail basis), and only C- or better will count towards the program.
- Communication 307H and Communication 308H (6 hours);
- Elective seminars on special topics; Communication 370H (between 3-9* hours, depending on the capstone option students choose);
- A capstone requirement, with options that include a creative or service project (Communication 330H) or a traditional academic thesis (Communication 679H) (between 3-6 hours).
*Students who choose to complete nine hours of Communication 370H will be asked to complete additional assignments.
Moody College Honors Program students will be assessed for continuing eligibility at the end of each academic year, and must meet the following standards: an overall GPA of at least 3.0; a GPA in Moody College coursework of at least 3.4; participation in Moody College Honors Program courses and activities, as described on the program website and by program faculty and staff. Moody College Honors Program students who do not meet these standards may be subject to dismissal from the program.
At the time of graduation, Moody College Honors Program students who have an overall GPA of at least 3.0 and a GPA in Moody College coursework of at least 3.4 will receive special recognition at commencement for successful completion of the program.